Friday, June 4, 2004

Who am I?

Technorati Profile

I'm currently a tech lead/manager at Google, working on Blogger engineering.

I'm formerly a system architect and technical manager for web based products at AOL. I last managed development for Journals and Favorites Plus.  I've helped launch Public & Private Groups, Polls, and Journals for AOL.

History:

Around 1991, before the whole Web thing, I began my career at a startup which intended to compete with Intuit's Quicken software on the then-new Windows 3.0 platform.  This was great experience, especially in terms of what not to do[*]. In 1993 I took a semi-break from the software industry to go to graduate school at UC Santa Cruz.  About this time Usenet, ftp, and email started to be augmented by the Web.  I was primarily interested in machine learning, software engineering, and user interfaces rather than hypertext, though, so I ended up writing a thesis on the use of UI usability analysis in software engineering.

Subsequently, I worked for a startup that essentially attempted to do Flash before the Web really took hold, along with a few other things. We had plugins for Netscape and IE in '97.  I played a variety of roles -- API designer, technical documentation manager, information designer, project manager, and development manager.  In '98 the company was acquired by CA and I moved shortly thereafter to the combination of AtWeb/Netscape/AOL.  (While I was talking to a startup called AtWeb, they were acquired by Netscape and Netscape was in turn acquired by AOL -- an employment trifecta.)

At AtWeb I transitioned to HTML UIs and web servers, working on web and email listserver management software before joining the AOL Community development group.  I worked as a principal software engineer and then engineering manager.  I've managed the engineering team for the AOL Journals product from its inception in 2003 until the present time; I've also managed the Groups@AOL, Polls, Rostering, and IM Bots projects.

What else have I been doing? I've followed and promoted the C++ standardization process and contributed a tiny amount to the Boost library effort.  On a side note, I've taught courses inobject oriented programming, C++, Java, and template metaprogramming for UCSC Extension, and published two articles in the C++ Users Journal.

I'm interested in software engineering, process and agile methods, Web standards, language standards, generic programming, information architectures, user interface design, machine learning, evolution, and disruptive innovation,

No comments: